for foreign authors
The writer-in-residence receives the necessary logistical, material and
financial backing to allow for an optimal stay: free lodging in Brussels, a
weekly allowance, and the necessary tools such as a computer, internet
connection and printer.
Conversely, the writer-in-residence must satisfy a number of criteria in order to be considered. Passa Porta offers residencies to authors of various genres, from fiction to nonfiction and from youth to adult literature. Manuscripts of a scientific research nature are not eligible.
The author must have at least one literary publication, under his or her own name. It is desirable but not strictly necessary that the author has a publication in Dutch, French, English, German or Spanish.
We expect of the authors that during their stay they commit themselves to writing a new manuscript, in which Passa Porta is mentioned in the publication.
Click here for the complete file containing all information.
- Writers wishing to apply for residence should send their application to
- a curriculum vitae listing publications in their own and other languages
- a letter explaining their motivation
- a short description of the manuscript or project on which they will work during their stay in Brussels
- The file should be written in Dutch, French or English. These are also the acceptable languages for all correspondence.
Applicants will be informed of
the receipt of their application within one month.
- In selecting candidates, the organisation relies on a number of advisors from both home and abroad. The final decision is taken by the organisation itself.
- The residences are closed each year from December 15 to January 15 and
from July 1 to August 31. It is possible to rent the writer's flat during
these periods. For more information: firstname.lastname@example.org.
- There is no deadline for application.